How to Hike KOKO HEAD Crater
by Mariam Beard • Last Updated: July 17, 2020
Quick Details | Koko Head Crater hike
How to Get There
- Drive (easiest, recommended!) ⇨ It’s a 25 minute drive from Waikiki. There’s a parking lot at the base of the crater.
Other Options if you do not have a rental car:
- Uber/Lyft/Taxi: Another easy drop-off option.
- Moped: If you have a moped rental, there is a parking lot at the base of the crater
- Bicycle: N/A
- City Bus (“The Bus”): About 1-hour.
What to Expect
What to Pack
- Water. I’d bring 32oz/1L! But bring At LEAST 16oz/500ML at the bare minimum.
- Small backpack. Since the terrain can be uneven, keep your hands free with a small backpack. Leave the sidebags, totes, purses, etc. in the car.
- Headlamp (if you do the hike very early at 6am, the tunnel is lit but the main hiking trail is NOT)
Overall, a great hike. I would recommend this hike in the MORNING as there is no shade on the hike at all.